Open source software projects provide writers (and software engineers) opportunities to develop their skills, make meaningful contributions, and produce authentic work samples. These projects are almost always looking for people to help out, including writing documentation and testing. But how do you get noticed when the primary communication channel is a mailing list, and no one knows who you are? Learn how Gale Naylor leveraged her open-source experience to change careers and become a full-time technical writer at Facebook.
About Our Speaker
Gale Naylor, Facebook, was an aerospace engineer for 15 years, then taught herself Visual Basic and became a programmer/analyst. She started at Facebook in October 2016 as a contract Technical Writer and converted to a full-time employee position in March of 2017. She also has a masters degree in Education and likes to design outdoor living spaces. She’s active in her local STC chapter and is currently Chapter President.
Date: Thursday, 3 May 2018.
Location: Pacific Room in the San Ramon Marriott Hotel, 2600 Bishop Dr, San Ramon, CA 94583
About our meetings
Note: You do not have to be an official STC member to attend the meetings.
- Take 680 to Bollinger Canyon:
- Going 680 North, take the Bollinger Canyon Road exit, turn right (east) onto Bollinger Canyon.
- Going 680 South, take the Bollinger Canyon Road exit, turn left and cross over the freeway on Bollinger Canyon east.
- From Bollinger Canyon Road east, take the first left onto Sunset Drive, then turn left on Bishop Drive.
- The San Ramon Marriott will be on Bishop Drive on the left.
- Walk through the Bishop Grill to get to the Pacific room.
Parking – Park in the (gated) hotel parking lot. Bring the ticket inside with you: The restaurant will validate it, giving you free parking.
5:30 – Networking
6:15 – Dinner
6:45 – Chapter Business
7:15 – Program
8:30 – Adjourn
We hold a raffle at the end of the meeting.