Guidelines for Writing Good Instructions
- Are the steps presented in the order in which they are performed?
- Is the first step really the first task that someone in the audience needs to do?
- Should a long or complex step be broken into smaller parts?
- Are all hidden steps made explicit?
- Is each step written as an overt command (beginning with an action verb)?
- Are all steps easy to find and visually distinct?
- List format?
- Bullets or numbers needed?
- Is each step precise and complete enough to be followed?
- Includes needed details?
- Excludes irrelevant text?
- Are common problems covered?
- Safety/danger warnings?
- Troubleshooting tips?